Monday, November 10, 2008

It's A New Day

I had never wanted to be back in America as much as I did the eve of November 4, 2008.

By the time I turned 18, I have registered to vote and have been an active voter for every single election since. (Ok, so only 4 years but comparing it to the youth vote, that's pretty good!) This year's election is groundbreaking, monumental and electrifying and I am so distraught that I wasn't able to be back home and witness the American spirit first-hand.

Instead, I settled for reading up on the election nearly every chance I get. And on the eve of November 4th, 2008 (in America), I trickled into the Global Lounge at Hong Kong University, and, joining the huge crowd of other university students and staff members that actually gave a damn, watched Obama come out on top as the first African American president-elect of America. I watched his speech and nearly cried when I wasn't cheering my lungs out. Never have I felt more proud of my country for seeing that it is indeed time for change.

I hope Obama's actions matches his words. I can't believe it was just a little over a year ago when I saw this man live in studio at the Ellen DeGeneres show, using his wit and candor to appeal to the audience. I was thiiiiis close to asking him a question on national TV, even! Now he's the 44th president of the United States of America. Unbelievable.

I, like the rest of America, will be watching and waiting to see what this new administration will bring. But so far, I'm liking what I see. It seems like the election of Obama has rejuvenated the country, the world. People everywhere are believing, having faith, hoping for that change, for that new day.


No comments: