Monday, June 30, 2008

Why I Will Never Travel Light Again

I thought I had done my research.  I had read the websites.  I had browsed through the travel magazines. I had asked my friends endless questions about everything there possibly could be to know about Europe.  But I still made one fatal mistake.  I packed too light.

Now, you might be asking, "pack too light? Isn't that what you're supposed to do when traveling around Europe?"  Not if this entails forgetting your DEBIT card that you were SUPPOSED to bring on your weekend trip to Chamonix, France to withdraw euros to spend.  I thought I was so badass.  Yes! One duffel bag for the entire weekend!  Easy breezy!  When we got to Chamonix, I headed for the bank (BNP Paribas because it is part of the Bank of America Global Alliance group where you can withdraw money from the ATM in the foreign country at no extra charge, one of the best deals when spending money in Europe). Much to my dismay, I realized that I had left my debit card back in my dorm room in Switzerland.  All I had on me was a credit card and 20 Swiss Francs.  Oh yea, and get this, my credit card was also NOT working because I did not call in advance and inform them that I was traveling. (I didn't know you had to!)  

So for the Friday of our weekend trip, while my friends were off to fabulous Mont Blanc for a hike or shopping around the quaint little town shops, I was wandering through the streets by myself, trying to find some way to access my money and to stop myself from bursting into tears.  

The only thing that saved me was the amazing scenery of Chamonix.







No comments: