Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Desert Island

We've all played that game.  "If you were trapped on a desert island with one _______, who/what would it be?"

What a no brainer.  My person would definitely have to be TINA FEY!  


This former SNL head writer turned TV star turned movie star can be my "baby mama" any day.  She's revolutionary; an amazing writer, a funny, quirky gal a combination of girl next door mixed with sexy MILF.  She can make guys fall in love with her but won't get the girls jealous because she is just too darned irresistible.  She also seems to have the midas touch, turning every project she makes into blockbuster and ratings gold.

I started watching Fey's show, "30 Rock" two weeks ago and I'm already caught up on Every. Single. Episode. (That's 34 20-minute episodes in case you were counting).  This show is so well-written, well-cast, and original that it was hard to remember a time long, long ago when it was predicted that it wouldn't be able to hold its own against a similarly-plotted Aaron Sorkin powerhouse called "Studio 60 on Sunset Strip." Now, no one remembers that other show and Tina Fey's winning awards left and right for her nuanced yet brilliant portrayal of Liz Lemon, the head writer of a fictional SNL-type sketch show on NBC. (sound familiar?)

Naysayers would argue that Fey is not really acting the part of Liz Lemon but that she actually is Liz Lemon but who cares if that's the case?  I say she's just wise for knowing what sells and tapping in on that.

So we know that Fey is great at television but what about the big screen?  People often forget that she conceived "Mean Girls," a chick flick that was actually smart as well as hilarious.  It also brought us Rachel McAdams, the term fetch, and the next surburbian cultural icon flick since "Clueless."

And I got to watch "Baby Mama" last night.  I was wary because Fey's good at playing herself but her act could get old and how much fun could a film about two thirty-something women trying to have a baby together be?  But boy, was I wrong.  Yes, Fey's acting was a bit one-toned but the writing, the movie's theme, the twist at the end and AMY POEHLER (a close second on who I would choose to be stranded on a desert island with) made this comedy the best one I've seen in a long time.

Fey is breaking down barriers left and right and people are finally paying attention.  On second thought, maybe I wouldn't want to be stranded on a desert island with her.  I need her to continue dominating Hollywood so that I can get my weekly fix of "30 Rock."  I love Lemon!

By the by, this has nothing to do with travels but if you think about it, you would have to travel to get to a desert island. So all makes sense with the world again!

No comments: